Introduction to Applied Investing
Welcome! We are delighted that you are interested in learning more about this online course offered by Marquette University and taught by Dr. David Krause.
This MOOC (Massive Open Online Course) is different from a traditional class – it is free, online and self-paced. While the course is intended to be completed in 4 weeks, you are allowed to move at your own speed.
This introductory course is intended for students who want to become more informed and savvier about investing. We know that for many, the world of investments is seen as complex and intimidating – with its own unique language. We believe that the workings of the financial markets and the wide array of investment offerings won’t seem so complicated once you learn the major concepts and understand the jargon of finance.
Whether you want to work as a professional investment analyst or just become a wiser investor, this course is designed to help you understand the basics of investing. In this course, we will cover the major investment vehicles such as: common stock, bonds, real estate, alternative investments, and the various methods of investing. You also will develop insights into the financial markets, as well as learn how to establish a sound, long-term investment strategy.
By the end of this course, you will have built a solid foundation and be able to better grasp the concepts and issues behind investing. Some of these include:
- What is the historical risk-return relationship between different investments?
- How and why do various investment alternatives perform differently over time?
- How do financial markets function and why are they ever-changing?
- What is the best way to establish a solid, long-term investment portfolio?
The course is composed of four Modules:
- Investment basics
- Understanding the financial markets
- Establishing a sound long-term investment strategy
- Advanced topics, including fundamental analysis and hedge funds
- Instructor: Dr. David S. Krause, Director of the Applied Investment Management Program, Marquette University
- Enrollment Start Date: August 23, 2013
- Course Start Date: November 23, 2013
- Duration: 4 weeks (Enrollment is still open)
Links to: Marquette University, College of Business Administration, and AIM Program
- Course Overview: Intro to Applied Investing (appliedinvesting.wordpress.com)
- Introduction to Applied Investing: A Self-Paced MOOC by David S. Krause (appliedinvesting.wordpress.com)
- MOOC 101 – What is a Self-Paced MOOC? (appliedinvesting.wordpress.com)
- MOOC 101 – Short Version by David S. Krause (appliedinvesting.wordpress.com)
- MOOC 101 – The Long Version by David S. Krause (appliedinvesting.wordpress.com)